Sunday, August 21

"A Little More Technology Editing, Please"

A Little More Technology Editing, Please, from David Card of Jupiter Research :
This graf ran toward the end of a Wall Street Journal article:
SBC's Internet-TV boxes will be smaller than a typical cable box. Cable boxes need to be big enough to store all channel programming at once, but because Internet-based boxes stream only one channel at a time, they don't need the extra space.
Um, isn't that a little like saying: "Flat panel sets aren't as good for watching team sports becauce a CRT has more room to hide all the tiny little players"? (As a kid, my dad believed there were little men inside the TV set acting out the shows.)

Thanks for that, David. It's an issue I am constant aware of in reading tech coverage in the trade press: The assumption, for example--I will spare the offending publication the embarrassment of revealing that it garbled the phraseology of the press release rather than attempting to understand the facts--that XHTML is the same thing as HTML, so that a client-side XHTML "smart page" gets described breathlessly as "putting the document on the Web using HTML." Imagine, putting documents on the Web using HTML! What an innovation! No wonder they put out a press release!

Amen. And here's to the geek-journalist with the rare capacity to work both sides of C.P. Snow's "two cultures" ...

4 Comments:

Blogger Gordon said...

Your blog is informative. I have a website about flat panel tv review. So make sure you visit if you are interested in large screen tv.

10/29/2005 02:22:00 pm  
Blogger Plasma TV Center said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a plasma sampo television
site/blog. It pretty much covers plasma sampo television
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

12/29/2005 03:20:00 pm  
Blogger Tony said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Very interesting.

My journal article site has lots of info pertaining to journal article.

Come visit sometime :)

12/30/2005 12:53:00 am  
Blogger low fee cash advance45 said...

Super blog. I enjoyed the site and when I have the
time, shall visit the site again. Finding blogs this
good on the internet.
I know that you love my work so, look up my cash advance sacramento blog.

2/01/2006 06:24:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home