Thursday, April 21

Lost Greek Tragedies Written on Crocodile Mummies!!

The decoding of the Oxyrhynchus papyrii: What a story! In a former life, I was a student in Prof. Joseph Duggan's paleography ('old writing') graduate seminar and got a chance to see the famous papryi stored at the Bancroft Library at UC Berkeley. I do other things now, but the idea of ancient texts written out by bored students of" the classics" on scrap papyrus later used to mummify crocodiles for a cut-rate Alexandrian funeral--it still tickles me mightily. Lost works of Sophocles deciphered at last! These days, I mostly decipher press releases and 10-K filings, but hey, deciphering is deciphering. The romance of it is irresistible.

2 Comments:

Blogger randini said...

I took pleasure in the site and I will go back!
Surfing online for blogs like this one is worth my
time. Sensational blog.
Please discover my cash advance riverside
blog.

10/06/2005 04:42:00 pm  
Blogger delightfully-unique said...

Fascinating blog. I loved the site you did a good
job on it, I will be back! I surf the net for blog
like this one.
Hey son, you need to check out my guaranteed cash advance blog!

1/22/2006 05:42:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home