Sunday, December 12

Pile Theory

I'm getting left with the interim top job while we locate a new chief, so I'm taking the opportunity to gather in all the data and talk to all the folks in the operation about stuff like budget and branding and readership and schedules and the like. It's a bit nerve-wracking, but I figure if I just keep yammering at the guys upstairs about the division of labor me and the old Chief agreed on, and keep on lobbying for a chance to brief in the candidates for Godfather or Godmother, I'll be able to sell the New Normal as a good thing that won't rock the boat. Everybody on board now knows what they're doing, is good at what they're doing, and just wants to keep on doing it ... which I'm totally behind. My job: Minimize seat-of-pants flying, get some new routines going, keep the functioning old routines working, make sure everybody feels secure enough to just keep on trucking ...

Bad news: Must rely on in-house IT to build my groupware portal, says the money-man ... Sorry, guys, it's just that there's not many of you and you take foreeeever to get things done ...

So I'm using the time off (we're on a 48-issue year now) to make lists and check them twice. Oh, there's no place like the shadow of the Goldman Sachs death star building for the holidays (below) ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home