Monday, December 6

IP Freely

Fascinating reading: Class Schedule for Class 705 DATA PROCESSING: FINANCIAL, BUSINESS PRACTICE, MANAGEMENT, OR COST/PRICE DETERMINATION.

I'm not kidding, actually. I'm futzing around with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's database to try to get a grip on the field of software, algorithm and business method patents. Patent portfolios made up of proprietary structured contracts--the intellectual property, or IP, of the originator--are going to be the battlefield nukes of the industry we cover, some folks are saying. This guy says:

In the new world of patentable business process, the old argument of build versus buy becomes one of build, buy, or sell.

In fact, it's probably exchanges and investment houses and funds and the like that are driving a lot of the software patent lobbying in Europe and America.

One of our reporters has been doing some great computer-aided, public record-based reporting lately, so I thought I would try to look around for ways to expand that part of what we do. CCL 705/35-9 seems to be the main category to look at, hmmm. And what's the corresponding international classification?

Meanwhile, Linus Torvalds of Linux fame is crusading against EU software patents.

Sorry, mumbling.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe Berenguer said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found your site! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
Business Rule Management
It covers Business Rule Management related contents.
All the best!

12/30/2005 01:05:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home